Saturday, October 10, 2026

Tripping up to Wisconsin for a retreat

We took a quick trip to Wisconsin this past week.  We left early in the morning, just as the sun was rising.




This cloud reminded me of a dragon.  Or maybe a wolf or coyotes?  There was a pack of coyotes behind our house the evening before that were howling.  They are so frightening to me.


By the time we were half-way through Iowa, we were getting low on gas.  Al checked how many miles to empty and thought we could get to the other side of Des Moines (where on-line it said gas was considerably cheaper).  When he filled the car up in Bondurant, he was able to put in 18 1/2 gallons.  Our car supposedly holds 18, so miraculously we didn't end up on the side of the road!!  
(Once my mom and I went to Wichita and we ran out of gas just a few feet from the pumps!  I had my mom get behind the wheel and the kids and I pushed the car to fill her up!)

We stopped for lunch in Marshalltown, Iowa at Maid-Rite, where the menu is sloppy joes.  That's it.  You can order a shake or a pie with that.  We stopped there last time and really liked it!


As we were getting ready to leave, a guy by us ordered his "wet".  I looked at him and inquired "What does that mean?"  "Greasy!" he replied.

We made it to our daughter, Jill's home in 12 hours, even with the 1/2 hour stop at Maid-Rite!


Their hydrangeas are so beautiful!


We gave Kobi some lovin'.  He always wants lovin'!



Sunday morning, we attended church.  Once a month they feature a missionary.  It so happened that this couple was in the States for awhile so they spoke about their ministry.  God is at work in people's lives!
At the luncheon afterwards, we visited with this couple. When they heard I grew up as a missionary kid, they asked me if I knew this guy who was an MK in Japan.  I did!  He was in my brother's dorm and his sister and I were room-mates one semester!  I love making connections like that!


Every year, the church has 2nd graders come up to the stage and they present them with a Bible of their own.  It has tabs for each book so they're easy to find.  They also teach them how to read the Bible for themselves.  I love that idea!  So many people are Bible illiterate these days.  Years ago, even those who weren't followers of Christ knew some Bible.


I enjoy our son-in-law's teaching so much!


Guess what we did the rest of the day, besides take a nap?
We watched the Packers and the Brewers!  Both teams won.


Jill and Claire also packed their bags and we loaded the car up so we wouldn't have much to do in the morning for our trip to Green Lake.

To be continued:

No comments:

Post a Comment