Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Friday, August 2, 2024

Backroads are better!

One thing about going on back roads, is that you come upon unusual places - even Iowa's BEST burgers!  I was headed north from Pella on 224, went under I-80 with its' heavy traffic and came upon this place.  

I don't know if they were the best burgers - I think I've had better - but the fried cheese curds were the very best I've ever had!


?
This was across the street.  An explanation would have been nice.

I kept going north and did not go on I-80.  That is stressful driving!  The country roads are so much more relaxing!  However, Maps kept trying to put me back on I-80.  After awhile, it gave up and put me going on 30.



I saw interesting places. 


Motorcycle gangs even.


I got on Highway 30 to Cedar Rapids then 151 to Dubuque.



Continued on to Wisconsin.


When I got to my destination, Kobi welcomed me.  He ran zoomies around me and finally settled down after some time.  He was so happy to see me!



Some people are in such a hurry when they travel.  Scurry, scurry, scurry.  And they miss seeing great places.  For me, the journey - seeing the countryside and towns along the way - is just as important as the getting to my final destination.

"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American philosopher

In the Christian life, however, that is not the case, is it.  The journey IS important.  How we walk the walk, as Christ would have us walk.  Meeting people, showing kindness, encouraging them.  But the FINAL destination is where we keep our eyes.  And Jesus will welcome us!  I don't think He'll have the zoomies, but I might!  How exciting that will be to see Him face to face!!

I love the analogy of the Narthex, by Anne Graham Lotz.

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent (John 17:3, NIV).

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to visit Westminster Abbey in London. It is a grand cathedral where many of the kings and dignitaries of England are buried, and where the kings and queens receive their coronation. The narthex is small, dark, and cramped—just a brief space to pass through between the outside door and the door leading into the cathedral itself. I can’t imagine anyone visiting the abbey and being satisfied to stay in the narthex. I also can’t imagine anyone who would make an enormous effort to stay there with no thought to passing through to the glory of what lies beyond.

Your life and mine here on earth is like the narthex to a grand cathedral. Our lives are simply an area to pass through on our way to the glory of eternal life that lies beyond the door of death. Physical death for a believer is simply a transition into real life. And it’s God’s purpose that you and I live forever—with Him."


"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved."  Acts 4:12

"Jesus answered, 'I AM the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"  John 14:6

No comments: