Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Sunday, October 21, 2018

A night in Hannibal


I spent the night in Hannibal, Missouri, the boyhood home of Mark Twain.  I stayed at the Main Street Bed and Breakfast right downtown (on Main Street, hence the name)  

The building used to be an old bank with law offices on the 2nd floor, now converted to a B&B.  The owners live in the bank portion.


Admittedly, there were trains that clickety-clacked throughout the night less than a block away.  However, on the pillow with a delicious piece of chocolate were ear plugs, and really, the trains did not deter me from a good night's rest!



 I felt just like this lady - I just wanted to dance a jig I was so happy on this little adventure!


There was a basket of breakfast goodies.  The night before, I stopped here at the Java Jive located next door to get a sandwich to eat for dinner.


The Mark Twain Museum was right across the street so before leaving town, I decided to visit.








 Norman Rockwell illustrated two of Twain's most famous books, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" in 1936 and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" in 1940.  I love Norman Rockwell paintings!

 Mark Twain had this jewelry box hand-carved in Italy for his wife, Livy.  Inside the top is a hand-painted silk painting.  It can't be exposed to air and light or it would deteriorate but below is a copy of it.













I find this a little creepy.


 



Mark Twain's books are enjoyed world wide.



 You can take cruises down the Mississippi River.  Since we did that earlier this summer, I had no need to do so now.


Mark Twain's boyhood home.   You can see the white fence where Tom Sawyer persuaded his friends to pay him for the privilege of whitewashing.  Tom sat nearby and watched that it would be done well.


I bought myself the audio tape of the story to listen to while I drove home to Kansas.  



Listening to the story, I was somewhat taken back because he uses language we don't use today.  But it was interesting and enjoyable and made the trip go by fast.

No comments: