Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Thursday, April 18, 2019

"Turn around when possible"

I spent the night in Hannibal.  Last time I was here, I stayed in a Bed and Breakfast, but this time just in a Holiday Inn Express off the highway.  I wasn't going to do any touristy things in Hannibal this time.  Just needed to continue on toward Wisconsin.  I needed to stop!  I was so weary of the constant rain, plus I needed to stop before it got dark.  I am blind in one eye and have trouble when it is dark.

In the morning I left a little tip for the maid, as usual, but this time I also felt compelled to tear out a page from The Daily Bread to encourage her.

God surrounds His people - supporting and standing guard over our souls "both now and for evermore."  Thus, on tough days, look up, "unto the hills," as the psalmist puts it (Psalm 121:1).  God awaits with strong help, steady hope, and everlasting love.

When I went down for breakfast, I bowed my head in prayer.  The lady at the next table commented "You don't see that often enough!"  I smiled and said "Oh, I need Him daily!"  We should always thank Him for His provisions, yes?  She gave me a thumbs up.

So glad this day the rain was gone!  I crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois and continued north toward Quincy on 172.  It was such a nice road!  4-lane even!  I had to pull over to see this!

 There was no one around.  I looked it up and evidently this barn was built in 1914 at a cost of $2,000.  You can read more about this place here.













I continued north on 336 and 136 to Macomb.   Up 67 toward Galesburg.  I mentioned in a prior post that "Tom" (our GPS) is old and sometimes gets me lost.

"Turn around when possible....Turn around in 80 feet."

I almost expect him to say "Turn around, you idiot!  Can't you hear me?!"   
Actually, "Tom"  has a female voice, so I guess he is a she.  

 It happened again around Galesburg.  It did not recognize that the bypass was completed and it took me a weird way through town.  Getting lost can be an adventure!


Do you think they are in the process of painting this place, or perhaps the husband and wife couldn't decide on the colors so they compromised?

 Close to Moline, I ran into flooding.
 I did see that some roads were under water, also some houses, but the highway was not, luckily.  In case you are wondering, I just lift up my camera to the window and shoot without looking at it.  I never know for sure if it will turn out, but sometimes I can't stop to the side of the road.  I don't do this often.  And I only do it if there is no traffic about.  I prefer to stop by the road and get a shot I know will turn out.  I wish they could come up with a camera that would be attached to your forehead that you could somehow push a button and it would take a picture of what you are looking at!  Probably spies have something like that, maybe with their glasses.
At Dixon, Indiana, there was a sign for where Ronald Reagan grew up so I pulled off the road.  It was off season for tours, but I did look around.


It would be fun to stay at this inn sometime! 
Wouldn't this be a dream to purchase this home?!

I crossed a bridge over Rock River then stopped at their river walk.  The water was gushing!

I ran across this nursery, Anne's Garden Center and had to stop!
I just drooled.  I wanted to purchase some of these!  But probably not too practical.



As I left this garden place, I accidently went the wrong direction.  "Tom" kept saying "Turn around" but I didn't believe him for awhile until I realized I was headed WEST.  Oops.  Turned around and got onto Highway 2. 

 See things I get to experience going on this adventure?

This took me into Oregon.  Oregon, Illinois, that is.  
I had to pull over again!
What is this, I wondered.   




The adventure continues....

No comments: