Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Sunday, November 4, 2012

Farewell, Aunt Millie!

We had our memorial celebration of Aunt Millie's life this past weekend.  On the table we put pictures of Millie and Uncle John who passed away some time ago, and a picture of my Dad's 3 sisters who are now in heaven.

The plaque says "Sei gefreu bis an den Tod, so will ich dir die Krone des Lebens geben."  Offb.2,10
"Be faithful even to the point of death and I will give you the crown of life."  Rev. 2:10
That verse marked her life - her faithfulness to the Lord.  

The Lord went before me and graciously orchestrated everything to fall into place for a service just like Aunt Millie would have wanted.  Ruth Miller called to ask if we wanted her to play the piano (she was incredible!!  Aunt Millie had asked her ahead of time if she would do this), Pastor Mace officiated, Adam sang Aunt Millie's favorite song "Jesus Paid it All"and also gave a wonderful sermon just like she wanted, a granddaughter, Tina, read the obituary and I was able to give my reflections of her life without breaking down.

You, Lord, are all I have,
and You give me all I need;
my future is in Your hands.
How wonderful are Your gifts to me;
how good they are!

I praise the Lord, because He guides me,
and in the night my conscience warns me.
I am always aware of the Lord's presence;
He is near, and nothing can shake me.

And so I am thankful and glad,
and I feel completely secure,
because You protect me from the power of death.
I have served you faithfully,
and You will not abandon me to the world of the dead.

You will show me the path that leads to life;
Your presence fills me with joy
and brings me pleasure forever.  ~ from Psalm 16


My cousin Sandy (right) and my Dad's only remaining sister, my Aunt Betty with Uncle Bill.

This is my Aunt Millie's family and my cousin Tom (beside Sandy).  May God bring comfort to them.  Aunt Millie prayed for each one every day.

I am standing on the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs
                like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says:
                              'There!  She's gone.'
Gone where?  Gone from my sight that is all.
She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side,
      and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination.
Her diminished size is in me, not in  her;
and just at the moment when someone at my side says:
                               'There!  She's gone.'
there are others watching her coming, and voices ready to take up the glad shout
                               'There she comes'
And that is dying.

~Charles Henry Brent

No comments: