Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Coronado

I did not sleep well.  The guest room was comfortable, but I was worried about my mother.  Mom called earlier and had told me not to worry, that the staff at the home were taking such good care of her.  But as she mentioned that she had dropped her phone, I could tell her breathing was getting quite labored.  "Mom, we will get you a new phone when we get home."  I had no idea that it would not be necessary.  We still did not know that Mom was so close to dying.

Kathy, the wonderful tour guide she is, took us to Coronado.



The first stop was at a hot dog restaurant.  
I have to say it was my first time at a restaurant that solely served hotdogs. 
 Deluxe hotdogs.  Therefore, the name, Delux.


They serve all kinds of hotdogs.  All-American, the slaw dog, Reuben, Lebowski or polish hot dog.
 I ordered the "Tokyo", with nori, or seaweed on top.  Quite unusual, but good!

























After filling up, we headed for the famous hotel.  We were able to park fairly close.  The dunes spell out "Coronado".



Look at this fancy elevator!  I wanted to take a picture of the little man that ran the elevator,
 but he was pretty firm that he did not want that.  




 Kathy explained to us that this hotel was destined for demolition, but the then-governor Reagan saved it!   So glad!  Isn't it just grand??
You can read more about the island and hotel here.



It was raining when we were there.

A storm was brewing and the waves were pounding the surf.


As we were leaving the island, we passed this fairy-tale house.  Oh my goodness!!  I would love to live in a house like that!  I'm afraid we just can't afford California, and especially Coronado, home prices!










The shuttles of His purpose move
     To carry out His own design;
Seek not too soon to disapprove
     His work, nor yet assign
Dark motives, when, with silent tread,
     You view some somber fold;
For lo, within each darker thread
     There twines a thread of gold.

     Spin cheerfully,
     Not tearfully.
He knows the way you plod;
     Spin carefully,
     Spin prayerfully,
But leave the thread with God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your pictures of Coronado bring back memories. I lived in San Diego for 5 years...2 1/2 of which I lived in .Coronado I am betting it has changed a lot since I lived there but the Hotel Del still looks the same!

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures, and especially the poem at the end!