Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Saturday, January 16, 2016

The heron and the dog

One afternoon our neighbor dog was making a ruckous.


My eye noticed movement in our little creek.


We had a visitor.
He patiently stood still for a very long time.
Was Fye more bark than bite?
  Perhaps.  
The great blue heron decided to make his move.



Ruffling its feathers

He entered the creek and ate lots of little frogs or fish or bugs 


I was doing house work but would occasionally look out.
This heron patiently ate his fill for about an hour!

Fye lost interest.

 The heron flew off to the lake.



Ever wonder where a heron sleeps at night?  I did so I looked it up.  (picture not mine)



Later on, I heard Fye barking again.  Sure enough, the heron was back in our creek.  It probably had better offerings.


See how it stretches out its neck?
Then he lunges and grabs his dinner.


Sometimes the heron will grasp his meal in a tweezer like grasp.
Other times, he will impale it.
Like in this photo I took awhile back.


Can you see him?
Look close!


I heard some laughter.
Children were playing close by.

 They didn't notice him, but I know the heron was "all ears"!


Off he flew!

He has been coming every day and stays awhile.

Much to Fye's consternation. 



No comments: