Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Saturday, July 28, 2018

Exploring

When we tell people we enjoy going to Dauphin Island, they often think we are saying "Dolphin" Island.  The island (originally named "Massacre Island") was renamed for Louis XIV of France's great-grandson and heir, the dauphin (eldest son of the king), the future Louis XV of France.  Dauphin is the also the French word for dolphin.

Why wouldn't you want a dolphin mailbox?

Staci and I headed out one day to go to the store and ended up doing some exploring.
We took several streets up and down and around

LaSalle!  Our kids' school in Chicago, Moody Bible Institute, was on a LaSalle street too!

Who is LaSalle, anyway?
I had to look it up.  

René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, or Robert de La Salle (November 22, 1643 – March 19, 1687) was a French explorer. He explored the Great Lakes region of the United States and Canada, the Mississippi River, and the Gulf of Mexico. He claimed the entire Mississippi River basin for France.


 Although some homes are built on the ground, I would guess the majority are on stilts.  Ever since Katrina and the flooding, I would think you would sure want that if you were building a new house!



new house to come... 
 We came up to the golf course.  A fox crossed our path - wish I'd had my camera ready!


cemetery - I would like to stop sometime to check it out.  I read that the oldest tombstone is dated to 1841, belonging to a John Sprinkle,who served in the war of 1812.





























I think I could live here on the island!



No comments: