Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Monday, April 29, 2019

An old cemetery, a military hospital and a Governor's mansion

As I continued on Highway 60, I saw a cut off to see Boydtown Cemetery, overlooking the Wisconsin River.

Young children - Their parents must have grieved so!








I arrived in Prairie du Chien located at the crossroads (or cross rivers) of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.  "Prairie du Chien is a French phrase that can be translated as “Prairie of the Dog.” While many people mistakenly think that this must refer to prairie dogs (which we have a lot of in Kansas!), most historians believe that it refers to a Native American chief who lived in the area whose name translated into French means “dog.”  Click THIS if you are interested in the history of this town.


I noticed an old fort hospital by the road and pulled off the road to see it.












 Another reference to Black Hawk.

A young boy and his dog were walking by and he showed me some tricks his dog could do.



St. Mary's Academy, which is being converted into 40 apartments.
 I noticed a sign for Villa Louis and was going to visit, but it was closed, due to flooding.  This Victorian-era estate was developed on an island on the Mississippi River between Wisconsin and Iowa in the 1840's by fur trader Hercules Dousman.
It definitely is a must see for me and I will have to visit on another trip to Wisconsin!

After crossing the Mississippi, I was in Iowa.
 "Tom" took me on a 3 mile dirt road.  I am not sure why.  It is time for "Tom" to retire.
I worried about getting a flat tire on this particular road.

There was still left over snow in the ditches.  Glad I didn't make the trip to Wisconsin a week earlier!



This might be interesting...



There were tours, but again, too early in the season for this.

No one about except for these chickens that followed me around.

I would have loved to have a tour, but oh well.   I continued on 18.



I had booked a room at Charles City but I got off 18 to check out for sure where the Little Brown Church in the Vale in Nashua was because I was planning to attend there in the morning for services!


So excited to attend here!

Leaving Nashua, there is a military park.


 Dam in Nashua

I made it to the hotel in Charles City where I spent the night.
 I'd been in the car most of the day so I decided to get some walking in.  Taking a picture to send to my walking partner.  The pool water was too cold, or I'd have done laps!

Then I relaxed with watching HGTV!

And hoping I didn't wake up to a flat tire from the roads I took!

No comments: