Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Battle of Lexington

I was traveling through driving rain and Al suggested that I stop for a while to let the rain pass.  Currently I was just driving along with it.  I was on highway 24 just on the east side of KC.


I came upon the city of Lexington and saw a sign advertising the historical site of the Battle of Lexington.  Missouri, that is.  There was another famous Battle of Lexington fought in Massachusetts.  That battle, fought on April 19, 1775 kicked off the American Revolutionary war as that and the battle of Concord were the first military engagements that won our country freedom from England.  This battle was a Civil War battle.  

I decided to pull off and see what this one was about.  The town had fabulous Victorian homes!!
 

 I always wanted to buy an old home, but my husband was not excited about them, with all the work that would need to go into it and all the money too.

 I found the place where the battle was fought.

The museum had no entrance fee!

 There was a 20 minute film that explained what happened here between the Union and the Confederates.
 "People called the Anderson house the best arranged dwelling house west of St. Louis.  But it became more famous as the center of a bloody three-day Civil War battle in 1861."  The Union forced the Anderson family out of their home and it became a hospital.  Then the Confederates took it over and then the Union had it once again.  If you want to read the story, you can click here.





The Southerners advanced on the fortifications by rolling large bales of hemp, which had been dipped in the river so they would not catch fire, in front of them.  In the end, the Confederates won the day.  The Union soldiers were simply out-manned.

In the museum I saw this interesting early sewing machine.  Never seen one like that, although we had a cabinet and pedal machine that Dad converted into electric. Our sewing machine was a newer model than this one though.
 The Anderson house that was turned into a hospital.
 They weren't giving tours yet, not until the end of the month.

 I was told I could peek in the windows since they weren't giving tours.

Missouri River where Mr. Anderson shipped his hemp for rope making.

 

I had been at Lexington, MO almost an hour and it was time to head out.  I had several hours ahead of me this day.  But it was still raining.  I looked at the weather app and it looked like the rain was continuing to build up behind me.  Oh well, it really was an interesting stop!  

I drove through rain all day long.  It is very wearying, with the windshield wipers at almost full speed all the way.  


Hwump hwump hwump hwump
ALL DAY LONG!!

But at least I HAVE wipers and at least I stayed DRY!  "Give thanks in ALL things", right?  And I am so glad I was able to have safe travels, despite the heavy rain.   On one stretch the water was starting to go over the road.


Flooding everywhere!

No comments: