Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Tuesday, July 28, 2020

On the road with twelve year olds, part 2

I woke up before the girls and spent time in the livingroom half of our suite, having my morning devotions and praying for safety as we drive home. The girls slept in the darkened bedroom until 8!  We got all ready and went down for breakfast.  We were the only ones eating there.

 Checking out.

At a stop sign, I turned around to take a picture.  I loved hearing Sophia sing and play her ukelele!


Hey!
Straw is cheaper, grass is free...

Sophia took a picture of Emeri who was watching a dramatic, tear-jerking show.

We flipped a coin (read about that here) to see if we would stop to see Amelia Earhart's house or not.  It was a nope.  I was a little sad about that.   I would like to see it sometime.  When Al and I stopped one other time, it was almost closing time and they said there wasn't enough time to go through it.


We stopped in KC and flipped a coin to see what restaurant to eat at.

Unfortunately, the wait was so long, we just went next door to a place none of us had ever eaten at.  (Perhaps we should have waited)

I decided to take the girls through our old stompin' grounds at Lawrence!  Allen's sister was at work so we couldn't see her, but I showed the girls where we used to live, where Papa went to school - go KU! - and where I worked at the Chancellor's office in Strong Hall.



Flipped a coin again - do we go turnpike south to Cassody or go on 177?  Either way, we get to see the Flint Hills, just a different area.  We got 177.  The girls fell asleep for awhile.  As I was driving through Topeka, I know the angels of the Lord protected us as a U-Haul quickly swerved in front of me; he was tilting back and forth.  Earlier, a pick-up almost rammed into me when he was trying to merge behind me in a construction zone and the semi in front of me slammed on his brakes!  Thank You, Father!!!

 I love the Flint Hill countryside!!

 In Florence, I took the girls to a cemetary where there is a mass grave of approximately 300 Mennonite immigrants who died from smallpox in 1874.

 

We got home just as Papa got off work.  We stayed up until midnight talking!!

No comments: