Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Monday, August 22, 2022

Road to Palo Duro Canyon to fulfill a bucket list - Part 1

 Going to Palo Duro Canyon was on Allen's bucket list.  Do you ever wonder where that term came from?  

I can still remember my mother telling me what the term "kick the bucket" meant.  I had no idea as a 7th grader.  Well, we both have things we want to accomplish before we do kick that bucket!  

(I just explained to a friend of mine who grew up in Mexico that "to kick the bucket" meant "to die" and that to "fulfill your bucket list" means accomplishing things you want to do before you die.  She was surprised!)


We left town on Highway 50.  As we drove west of Hutch, I suggested stopping at the Dutch Kitchen for a piece of pie.

Al pretty much ignored me; he was anxious to continue on.  We weren't that far from home and we had many hours to go!  I guess a piece of pie would help one kick the bucket sooner too.  But it sure is good!  Infact, I always ask for pie instead of birthday cake on my birthday!

We veered off onto highway 61 just past Partridge.  As we passed Turon, there was a gas station that was permanently closed.  The name of that place?  Lucky gas station.  Not so lucky though!

As we were coming into Arlington, I asked Al to go through town.  My Dad grew up about 7 miles away and they came to church in this town.  I believe much of the town looks the same as when he'd come to town here as a boy.



One thing we have noticed recently.  The trains are super, duper long!!  Perhaps twice as long as in the past.  Double stacked and 3-4 engines in the middle of the train to pull them.


We were impressed with the city of Pratt.  Looked very nice and welcoming.  Pratt is where they hold the Miss Kansas Pageant.  Three Miss Kansas winners went on to become Miss America. 


Going through town, we saw something we have never seen before...an army helicopter on the back of a trailer.

We've never seen a climbing wall on the back of a trailer either!



Highway 61 runs from McPherson to Pratt only.  It now turned into Highway 54.

The entrance to some artist's home.


I love old church buildings!



We passed Greensburg, where the tornado nearly wiped out the entire town.  I flew over it on my way to Colorado shortly after that.  Rather eerie to see paved streets without any houses on them.  (found a picture on-line of what I had seen)

This town is worth a visit, but we'd stopped before and it wasn't our destination this day.  

When we got to Bucklin, we had to do a double-take.  There were all these whirly-gigs along the highway.  

I looked it up.  They are the creation of M.T. Liggett, who poked fun at politicians.  His art work is a little crazy.  You can read about him here.  

Old and new

I just don't really care for how these windmills are littering our landscape.  





I love this land!



At Meade, you will find the Dalton Gang Hideout.  We didn't take time to go today, as we've been in the past.   It's a pretty cool place to visit!





There was construction on 54 and we had to turn south.  


I texted a friend who we knew grew up around here.  "Where did  you live?"  He told us.  It just so happened that it was on the road we were on!



I sent the following picture to the kids.  I love the beauty of the open prairie!  My son-in-law comments "Looks desolate.  Why would anyone live there?"  He's a city boy.

We stopped at this historical marker.  I guess somewhere around here, who knows where, but somewhere, Coronado passed.




To be continued...

No comments: