Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Thursday, April 16, 2009

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

This is my dear friend, Sheryl. When we moved to Quail Creek back in '87, she lived across the street from us. We became walking partners and eventually became wallpapering partners too. They moved out to the country and we moved to Autumn Glen, and she now works full-time. But we still walk together whenever we can. Last week her Dad passed away.



Sheryl's Dad was Alton Matz.
He got cancer around 26 years ago
and was told he had 6 months to live. Not so.

Then a couple of years ago, he had a
massive heart attack
and was pronounced brain dead.

He defied the odds and came back quite normal!
Amazing!

But this past week, it was finally his time to go.
The funeral was a beautiful memory of his life.


They sang "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."
I love that song! We sang it in boarding school
when I was in grade school.
Jesus is my dearest Friend so this song speaks to me!


What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry, everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear.
All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer!


Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful, who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge! Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do Thy friends despise, forsake Thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer.
In His arms He'll take and shield Thee; Thou wilt find a solace there.

The author of this poem, Joseph Scriven watched his fiancee drown the day before his wedding day. Reeling from the tragedy, he immigrated to Canada from Ireland. He later learned his mother was going through a crisis and so he wrote the above poem to comfort her. He did not intend for anyone to see it. Meanwhile, he fell in love again, but his bride to be died of tuberculosis before the wedding could take place. This man knew tragedy. This poem was then put to music.


The funeral was in Marion at the Valley United Methodist Church.
The inside of the church was breathtaking -

the stain glass.....



...the ceiling


Here is the courthouse in Marion.






And the historic Elgin Hotel that was built in 1886 for $25,000.



I understand that it is being renovated as a Bed and Breakfast.



I loved the drive through the rolling hills.


I had to stop to take pictures of an old house and barn.
Wish buildings could talk!










I love the Kansas plains!


I decided to stop in Peabody. Unfortunately, not many shops were open.
I did find one antique shop open.
The owner told me many of the stores are open
only on Saturdays, or even every other Saturday.


I found 2 Tiny Tears baby dolls.
I used to have one.
When we came to America,
we left it behind in Japan. So sad.
My parents just couldn't ship everything.

They cost $115 and $65! Too bad.
Won't pay that much for nostalgia.
I did love my dollies though!
My favorite was Baby Dear.
We left her behind too.
Maybe some day I'll find them on-line
at an affordable price.

4 comments:

The Sieberts said...

i love your pictures! they look like awesome photo shoot locations!

Harvey County United Way said...

I love that old house. I love driving by it. Every time I wonder, what happened so that it is now in that state. I want to fix it.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

My goodness, what great pictures!

Blu-I'd-Blonde said...

Debbie: I love your pictures too. My dad used to work odd jobs to supplement our 80-acre farm income. He worked on that house when it was still being lived in, and it was old then. I'm reminded of him everytime I see it, and how I went with him to the house only to have to stay in the car because of a warning sign about their dog. I wish someone would restore it.(The house, not the dog!)