Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pantry


The kids have sometimes come across out-dated things in our pantry. Cereal or some snacks that just have been forgotten. Yesterday I had some time....

...so I decided to tackle the pantry.

This is my pantry.
It is a "secret" walk-in pantry.

Three shelves are non-food items; paper goods, baskets, dishes, and
several Country Woman magazines that are filled with wonderful recipes!

I went shelf by shelf.
Really, not too much was out-dated.
There was a can of coffee creamer that had got stuck clear in the back that was dated 2006. (Yes, I did throw it out!) The oldest out-dated item I found was this - alum. I think I purchased it years ago to make home-made playdough, but I am not sure. Do you think it would still work?
If an item isn't dated - does that mean it lasts indefinitely?
Like Liquid Smoke or garlic wine vinegar.

I wonder how old this is???!!!
Is it still ok to use in soups?! Ha!!
Here is my spice shelf.
Yes - I am one of THOSE people who alphabetizes her spices.
Hey, when you are looking for a spice, it comes right handy!
My cereal shelf... Japanese foods shelf....
and the grandchildren's favorite - the snack shelf!
I felt so accomplished when it was all done!
Now maybe I should tackle the refrigerator.

6 comments:

Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate said...

I think it's good you alphabetize your spices. Mine aren't in alphabetical order, but they are arranged in a way only I know :) That way, I too can find them easier. Also, I would say the peppercorns are still good...I have a few things like that. They're O.K., so why throw them away? BTW, ever since I first saw your pantry, I've always thought it was a cool "secret."

Anonymous said...

I can't stand it when someone else uses my spices and takes them our of alphabetical order! I also have to go thru my pantry items at least every 5-6 months otherwise I cant find anything!!
Sharley (Don B's Calif cousin)

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

I cleaned my pantry after the big shopping trip that followed our CA trip. What a great feeling to clean-out, throw away and reorganize!

I alphabetize too! But now Dillon's doesn't carry the full line of the short McCormick spices. It's "messing me up"!

I'd say that anything that's stamped 39 cents is probably very old! What could you possibly find for THAT price now!??!

ALUM - that's what we used for canker sores. It was very YUCKY! I remember finding a rusted can in my medicine cabinet in CA house. ICK!

Veda said...

I love the "secret" pantry. That is sooo cool!

Anonymous said...

I loooooooooove your pantry! Wish I had one like that. I definitely alphabetize my spices too; learned that from my mom. Aw.

Blu-I'd-Blonde said...

Okay, I'm late with my comments 'cause I'm just catching up reading your blog. Love your pantry. Like Sarah, I'm not alphabetical but arrange according to how I use my spices. Did you know you can go to Prairie Harvest in Newton and buy spices inexpensively, by the ounce? You can buy only what you need. I've kept my old tins and refill them.