Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Miletus in Turkey

From Acts 20 - The day after that we sailed to Miletus. Paul had decided to sail on past Ephesus, because he did not want to spend too much time in Asia. He was in a hurry and wanted to be in Jerusalem in time for Pentecost.


The Spirit had warned Paul that he would suffer but that he should not avoid it, but be prepared.



There is an inscription on the seat that says "seating of the God fearers" or "the place of the Jews who are God fearers".  There are 3 spelling errors.  Either written by a pagan or a Jew who didn't know how to spell.


Gladiators



The inscription on the wall to the arch angel shows that 
there was angel worship going on in Miletus.


From Miletus, Paul sent a message for the church leaders at Ephesus to come and meet with him.

When they arrived, he encouraged them and warned them.
 "I don’t know what will happen to me in Jerusalem, but I must obey God’s Spirit and go there.  In every city I visit, I am told by the Holy Spirit that I will be put in jail and will be in trouble in Jerusalem.  But I don’t care what happens to me, as long as I finish the work that the Lord Jesus gave me to do." 
" I know that after I am gone, others will come like fierce wolves to attack you.   Some of your own people will tell lies to win over the Lord’s followers.  Be on your guard!  I now place you in God’s care. Remember the message about his great kindness!"

He warned them to beware of the wolves.  He knew the tactics of false teachers.  He'd been a wolf himself!

The Church is God's plan.  The devil is out there to destroy God's plan.  Sheep are helpless.  Sheep are on the menu.  Wolves are everywhere!  (It could be a junior high math teacher or a false preacher) We need a Shepherd.  "My sheep hear My voice."  Listen to the Shepherd, not to false wolves.

This is the ancient harbour where Paul met the saints from Ephesus.
Although silted in now, the Aegean Sea came all the way in in Paul's day.  Now it is 7 miles out!
After Paul had finished speaking, he knelt down with all of them and prayed.  Everyone cried and hugged and kissed him.  They were especially sad because Paul had told them, “You will never see me again.”
Then they went with him to the ship.




Belgin fed a stray puppy and gained a follower!

We continued on our way to Kusadashi.  Some interesting things we saw on the way. 

This actually is a very LARGE shopping cart.  Not a cart in the foreground.












No comments: