Love the Lord your God, listen to His voice and hold fast to Him, for the Lord is your life! Deut. 30:20


Friday, August 26, 2011

Backyard


I was sitting on my bedroom chair this morning having my devotions when all of a sudden a ruby-throated hummingbird flew by! Beautiful!

I remembered that the hummingbird feeder was empty and I forgot to fill it last night. So I quickly ran down to fill it. Hope he comes back again! I have not ever seen one here before, but have faithfully filled the feeder in hopes. Mindy said she saw it when she was here. And I think Jill saw one once too.

These finches love this plant. They nibble at it each day. It has overgrown so you can't even see the pot anymore. From my chair, I see geese fly by, herons too. And sometimes I see someone else "fly" by.





(my son-in-law, in case you don't recognize him)

My summer endless hydrangea is finally blooming! It was not an endless blooming one this year. The first year it hasn't performed. I think it did not like the heat. Usually it blooms all summer, just like the name says.
This summer has been brutal on the plants but there are a few beauties out there. And this morning was so pleasant (70's) to water and pull weeds.


The past couple of days I have seen that the monarchs are migrating! I can still remember one year when our back tree was full of them - over 100 for sure. A site I will never forget!
I am such a novice at plants - any guesses what this is? A weed? It came up volunteer. I don't know whether to pull it or not.



We let our backyard grass go. Didn't want that $500 water bill others were having. I watered the plants though. The grass will green up this fall I think. Plus we will overseed.


"The grass withers and the flowers fall but the Word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8



I will be posting about our August Kansas trip soon. And today is a hint at where we will be.

2 comments:

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

Lovely post! I worked outside yesterday - wonderful! We had quite a crop of weeds after our trip! Still have more rose dead-heading to do! It's therapy.

Your birds are wonderful. Ours are gone since we were gone. Hopefully they'll return when I get feeders refilled.

For the beauty of the earth ...

Melissa Jensen said...

We have masses and masses of humming birds at our home that we put out a feeder and now we get up to 10-12 at a time!! They are just amazing and we love them. We actually make their sugar water (4 cups water 4 cups sugar and boil it) They are so use to us that they fly very near us, Kreg was actually able to catch one and it let him.
It is so funny, if our feeder runs out the birds will come to our picture window and just look in as if they are asking for more food. They must be really smart b/c they only do this when they are out:)
Have fun with your birds!!